Sunday, August 26, 2012

Playing House

About a year ago, it occurred to me that before Abby left for college I wanted our family to take a vacation to the ocean.  I wanted the whole deal: beach house on the ocean front, stay for a week, long days on the beach.  Bill started researching beach houses for rent and found one in Avon, NC.  In the Outer Banks area, it was an ocean front property with all the amenities imaginable: inground private pool, hot tub, spacious living, ocean view.  So we booked it.  And this is where I am typing this entry from.
 
 The first five hours of the trip were exciting because we were finally on our way and the energy in the car was uplifting.  We drove through Washington, D.C. and saw the White House and the Washington Monument.  It was very cool and the kids were rubbernecking and chattering enthusiastically about it.  Once we hit Virginia, the novelty of the drive wore off and we were spent.  Bill was driving, and I was supposed to be sleeping so I could take the next shift.  But I couldn't sleep in the car.  Every stop would awaken me and it was wicked uncomfortable sleeping as it was.  Around 4:30 AM I took a turn at the wheel.  It took all of the consciousness of my being to keep my eyes open.  I was tapping my foot, slapping my knee in rhythm with the music, singing out loud.  I only lasted an hour before I told Bill I had to pull over.  I recommended we just take an hour to take a nap.  After that much needed rest, Bill took the wheel again.  And then it started raining.
 
I have never seen rain drops that big and that full of force.  It actually started coming in the windows.  We had a cargo carrier on the roof and the straps were held in by the doors.  The kids woke up to drops on their heads and sleepily tried holding napkins up to the roof to stop the streams of water coming in.  The right lane of the two-lane highway was flooded so everyone was crawling in the left lane.  Many people pulled over to the emergency late to wait out.  We later found out that a tornado had touched down in Virginia at that time.
 
 
We arrived at the realty office around 11 AM Saturday, and despite our lack of sleep felt invigorated by the arrival to our destination.  The kids played tennis while we were waiting for our house to be ready for check in.  When we got the keys and pulled up to the house, we were chattering wildly.  This was our first experience renting a house.  We had been to the ocean in Maine seven years ago, but stayed in a hotel a couple miles from the ocean.  Getting ready to explore our house reminded me of Extreme Makeover home edition when Ty says, "Go check out your house!"  We opened the front door and all four of us darted around inspecting all the rooms. 


 
This place is absolutely gorgeous.  It has four levels and surely was intended for a huge party to stay as opposed to a little family of four and their pooch.  We are not used to having this much space.  Our home is a small three-bedroom ranch with about 1200 square feet.  This beach house is so big that it is an aerobic experience to walk from the bottom level all the way to the top level.  We are settled in nicely and are enjoying playing house here.  For just a week we can indulge, relax, and waste time together in this beautiful getaway. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment